Cometry to Improve Our Society?

By Aishani Chauhan ‘20

Cometry to Improve Our Society?

Comedy and poetry.  Put them together, and you get Cometry: a group whose mission statement is to blend performance poetry and stand up comedy into entertainment that highlights the similarities, habits, and traits, that people all share, but often go unnoticed.  Every Cometry piece or “coem” is designed to tell a story, raise awareness, or deliver an inspirational message, all while making making one laugh.  On January 26, 2018, Iggy Mwela and Claudia Martinez of Cometry performed at the Kirby Center for the Creative Arts in front of students and faculty.

Cometry introduced the concept of being “GRAV” or a leader that people always want to be around.  To demonstrate a key part of the “GRAV”―vulnerability― Ms. Martinez put on a hat and drew a mustache on her face in order to look like her uncle, and shared stories of her experiences as a child growing in up in a Mexican household and her struggle with coming out as a teen.  Iggy Mwela performed an original poem revealing his abusive childhood growing up with an alcoholic parent in an unsafe neighborhood.  At the core of this performance was a message to embrace one’s weaknesses, and turn them into strengths.  “I was very pleasantly surprised by the impact it left me with.  The show was not only very funny and entertaining, but it also sounded like a very important message.” says Leanna Yatcilla ‘20 of their performances.

However, a few students thought that the performance was disorganized and that the message was lost within the comedy; “While Cometry’s aim was to deliver an inspiring message, the disorganization and long length of the performance led to the message becoming lost in the comedy,” said Sophie Guichardan ‘19. Whatever Cometry presented to its audience, it did not fail to emphasize the question, “How can I become a better leader by embracing both my similarities and differences?”


What Sem Students Do on a Snowday

Pictured is the Sem campus covered in snow! (photo courtesy of @semstudentlife)

By Alex Kristellar ‘19

Snow Days! Who doesn’t love snow days? My personal routine on a snow day is to wake up around noon, make some Ramen Noodles, and then relax and watch Netflix, but I found that what the majority of the Sem community did was much more interesting.

Something that I couldn’t believe is that 44% of the Sem community woke up bright and early! The other 56% did a combination of sleeping all day, sleeping till noon, just waking up periodically for food, and then falling back asleep – this I can understand. For the people who actually woke up, the most popular activity was to watch Netflix, followed up by playing Fortnite, and finally more sleep.

As I said before, I like to eat Ramen Noodles, but what everyone else eats is quite different. The top foods and drinks that were eaten on the snow days were mac n’ cheese, hot chocolate, and pancakes.

The most popular shows being watched on Netflix by Sem students right now are The Office, Stranger Things, Jane the Virgin, and The Flash.

Lastly, I wanted to know everyone’s opinion on this winter. For me, I’m just done with winter; I’m tired of having a big snowfall, having it get warmer, getting my car washed, more snow, and repeat. Don’t get me wrong, I love snow days just as much as the next guy, and making bets on whether we will have school the next day. Anyways, it seems like half of all the students want winter to go and half want it to stay. I don’t know which one is better but as long as we keep getting snow days and 2-hour delays, I’m alright with anything.